Public Sector organisations can apply for funding of up to £5 million through the Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme. A total of £75 million has been made available through the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy with a focus on heat decarbonisation that reduce that reduce non-traded emissions.
The following organisations are eligible to apply:
- Central government departments and their arm’s length bodies (set out in Public Bodies as published by the Cabinet Office, see here)
- For central government departments where their roles are reserved (i.e., not devolved Governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), funding may be used for estates located anywhere within the UK
- Emergency services
- Institutions of further and higher education
- Local authorities
- Maintained schools within the state education system, including academies, Multi-Academy Trusts and free schools
- Nursery schools maintained by a local authority
- NHS Trusts and Foundation Trusts
The funding can be used to install low carbon heating systems to replace a fossil-fuelled heating system that are coming to the end of its useful life. A list of eligible technologies can be found here.
Applicants can also use their own funds to top up a project which they wish to complete.
There is no application deadline, however, all projects that receive funding must be fully installed and completed before 31st March 2022.