The John Watson Trust awards grants for educational purposes to children and young people under the age of 21 who have a physical or learning disability or who are socially disadvantaged.
Whilst the Trust operates primarily within Edinburgh and the Lothians, it may also award grants Scotland-wide to eligible individuals and organisations that include schools, established charitable organisations and other groups supporting disadvantaged young people.
Grants can cover expenses such as:
- Special or additional tuition
- School trips (must be applied for by the school and not individuals)
- Bus passes
- School expenses such as books and equipment
- Laptops where there is a special education need
Schools may also apply for help towards school trips or outings for eligible pupils. In exceptional cases, where personal circumstances make boarding necessary, school boarding fees may qualify for a grant.
Projects previously funded include:
- Castleview Primary School: £1,000 towards the Benmore trip
- Longstone Primary School: £1,000 towards a residential trip
- Women’s Aid East and mid Lothian: £1,000 towards their summer programme
The next closing date is the 28th October 2022.