Organisations with innovative ideas that could transform the transport sector can apply for a share of £1.8 million in government funding to develop their technologies.
The Transport Research and Innovation Grant (TRIG) programme will award grants of up to £45,000 to UK businesses, research organisations, and universities to develop research and provide solutions to some of transport’s most-pressing issues.
There are five different challenge areas, in addition to an Open Call challenge to undertake early-stage feasibility studies:
- Open Call
- Local Transport Decarbonisation
- Airport Decarbonisation
- Future of Freight
- Connectivity, AI and Digital Twins
- Maritime Decarbonisation
Previous winners have developed a range of initiatives including:
- an app that uses augmented reality to help visually impaired passengers get around rail stations
- kite-powered tug boats to reduce emissions
- drones to deliver packages in hard-to-reach areas
The funding is made available by the Department for Transport, in partnership with Connected Places Catapult.
Proposals from consortia will be considered.
The closing date for applications is the 27th November 2023.