Grants of up to £90,000 are available for UK registered small and medium-sized enterprises to support the development of innovative solutions to help protect road users in England from hazards.
The National Highways Hazard Protection On Roads Accelerator will award funding for the development of technologies, products or services that help to address at least one challenge area:
- gathering data about hazards on roads
- streamlining hazard responses
- improving driver notification of hazards
- improving testing of hazard detection technology
- influencing drivers to reduce unsafe behaviour
The programme will run in two stages:
- in the first stage, up to ten SMEs will be selected to work with National Highways and others to design trials
- in the second stage, approximately five SMEs will be awarded funding to deliver their trials over a five-month period
SMEs will also receive a bespoke programme of business support.
The closing date for applications is the 31st December 2023.